Date: December 13, 2011
Action Items from the Meeting:
- Follow up with LHD management to clarify schedule for LHD team memebership and experiemntal proposals. (D. Gates)
- Include satus reports on new topics at next meeting (H. Neilson/ D. Gates)
- Optimization - J. Breslau
- System code development - A. Zolfghari
- Updates on PPPL's eddy current results for CTH - J. Hanson, Auburn U.
Announcements (H. Neilson)
- Stellarator progress highlights and program developments were summarized.
- Milestone status was reviewed.
Stellarator Physics Plans (D. Gates)
- Eight PPPL stellarator papers were presented at APS
- Seven PPPL researchers will attend the ISHW-18
- FY-12 Plans for LHD collaboration (see Gates slides for details)
- Analysis of the results from the XICS diagnostic (Pablant)
- Upgrade of XICS camera (need to develop schedule based on detector availability)
- Transition STELLOPT based reconstruction of LHD equilibria into a production mode (semi-automated post-shot analysis - Lazerson)
- Re-competition of international collaborations now postponed until March (after report of the FESAC committee on this topic)
- Collaboration on dust dynamics proposed
- FY-12 Plans for W7-X collaboration (see Gates slides for details)
- Define physics program and facilitate information transfer with W7-X (Gates)
- Arrange transfer of divertor and magnetic diagnostics info to PPPL (Gates, Lazerson)
- Benchmark HINT2-PIES against agreed upon W7-X equilibrium (Lazerson, Reiman)
- Modify PIES to allow non-stellarator symmetry (Lazerson, Reiman)
- Stellarator optimization
- System code development (Zolfaghari)
- STELLOPT/COILOPT modification (Ku, Breslau)
Planning and Status Reports
2.2 XICS Spectrometer / LHD research plans (N. Pablant)
- Including STELLOPT in his data analysis software.
- With Sam, et al. they have a code library
- Papers (Drafts by the end of January):
- RSI paper in progress.
- Paper on physics interpretation for PPCF? Nuclear Fusion?
- New detector: delivery from Dectris by August.
- In-house work on detector housing needs to start in April. (Lane Roquemore)
- Lab seminar, "First Results from the X-ray Imaging Crystal Spectrometer on the Large Helical Device," was presented by Novimir on 14 December.
1.1 / 2.3 Equilibrium reconstruction / research plans (S. Lazerson)
- Include flow in our equilibrium models?
- Fitting Thomson scattering data
- Benchmarking vs. HINT2 using W7-X data
- Fitting MSE data- lots of discussion over interpretation
- Milestones for FY-12:
- MSE Diagnostic Benchmark - 2/12; Deliverable:ISHWTalk/Paper(NF?)
- Equilibrium with Flow paper - 3/12; Deliverable:Paper
- LHD Coil Current Optimization - 4/12; Deliverable:EPSTalk/Poster
- Non-Stellarator Symmetric PIES - 7/12
- Shielding Currents in PIES - 9/12; Deliverable:APSTalk/Poster
- PIES/HINT2 Benchmarking Effort -TBD
3.1 Eddy current modeling for CTH (A. Zolfaghari)
- Modeling the vacuum vessel with SPARK
- Data has been turned over to Jim Hanson (ball is in Jim's court)
- Possible paper for TOFE conference.
- Hours spent are less than budgeted.
- Methodology is of interest to W7-X, LHD, RFX
- Eddy current modeling is becoming critical for interpreting stellarator magnetics data
Stellarator Team Update - H. Neilson
Stellarator Physics Plan for FY12 - D. Gates
Equilibrium reconstruction / research plans - S. Lazerson
Eddy current modeling for CTH - A. Zolfaghari