Date: May 5, 2011
- Progress highlights in the PPPL stellarator program were summarized.
- Plans for papers at SOFE and EPS conferences were summarized.
- Milestone status was reviewed.
- 9 June Stellarator team meeting
- 1 June Trim Coil FDR
- 26-30 June SOFE Conference, Chicago
- 27Jun.-1Jul. EPS Meeting, Strasbourg
- 7 July Stellarator team meeting
Planning and Status Reports
- 1.1 / 1.6 /2.1 Physics Overview, Progress Against Milestones (D. Gates)
- FY-11 milestones for physics activities were reviewed.- Progress is very good.
- A new activity, structure eddy current calculations for CTH, has started.
- Two milestones were presented. A report by Ali Zolfaghari was presented (see below).
- 2.2 XICS Spectrometer for LHD (N. Pablant)
- Major milestones were achieved:
- The XICS equipment has arrived in Japan, awaiting clearance through customs at Nagoya airport.
- The Be window has arrived at NIFS.
- A PPPL team (Bitter, Hill, Pablant, Roquemore) will travel to NIFS May 13-30 for installation and alignment of the spectrometer.
- The near-term schedule was updated:
- May : Installation and calibration of spectrometer at LHD
- June 10th : Pump down of LHD vacuum vessel.
- June 29 -- July 23 : Cooling of superconducting coils.
- July 27 -- Oct 27 : LHD Experimental campaign.
- November : Warming up of LHD
- The development of a full XICS analysis package is nearing completion. New atomic physics results from Vainshtein (Lebedev Inst.) code calculation have been incorporated. Tools are being tested on C-Mod XICS data.
- Gyrokinetic calculations (D. Mikkelsen)
- A NIFS-PPPL collaboration began with the recent visit of K. Tanaka (NIFS) to PPPL. Team includesTanaka, Nunami, Watanabe, Sugama, Mikkelsen, Guttenfelder, Baumgaertel. Plans for FY-11 include
- Linear stabiliyt in LHD conditions
- Add non-adiabatic electrons with and without collisions
- Include electromagnetic terms
- Compare quasilinear flux of C in impurity hole and L-mode
- Compare quasilinear heat fluxes in ITB and L-mode
- Comparisons between GKV and GS2 codes were presented.
- IPP-PPPL plans for FY-11 include:
- Study ITG mode with kinetic electrons
- Benchmark electromagnetic simulations
- Compare nonlinear results.
- Results of a successful 3D benchmark comparison between GS2 and GENE were presented.
- Eddy Current Modeling for CTH (A. Zolfaghari)
- This new activity is sponsored by the University Off-site Research program.
- The CTH vacuum vessel and helical coil frame have been modeled in MAXWELL. A simulation of the OH ramp up CTH was presented, showing calculated induced current densities in the structures.
- Confirmation of results, refinement of geometry and mesh
- Using actual current excitations from measurement
- Writing out mesh data and current densities
- Going from current density on mesh nodes to current filament
- Modal analysis
- 2.3 Equilibria at high beta / reconstruction (S. Lazerson)
- The FY11 tracking milestone, Modification of PIES to allow Thomson pressure profile, was completed on schedule in April
- An EPS paper, "Equilibrium Reconstruction on the Large Helical Device," is in preparation.
- A paper for the Journal of Computational Physics is planned.
- 1.2 W7-X Trim Coil Project (H. Neilson, T. Brown)
- The trim coil project had a successful PDR on April 27-28.
Summary by: Hutch Neilson, 10 May 2011