Date: February 17, 2012
Action Items from the meeting
- Status reports requested at next meeting
- Highlights from ISHW- D. Gates
- Status vs. FY-2012 Work Plan- S. Lazerson, N. Pablant, J. Breslau
- Updates on PPPL's eddy current results for CTH- J. Hanson, Auburn U.
Program Updates (H. Neilson)
- DOE's FY-13 funding guidance for stellarators was discussed. W7-X is flat-funded, but LHD is being competed.
- The solicitation for international collaboration proposals is expected to be issued in April
- 3 March - EPS abstract deadline
- 15 March - Stellarator team meeting
- 15 March - Field Work Proposals due
- April - DOE-FES International Solicitation issued
- 27-31 August - TOFE-2012 Symposium, Nashville, TN
- 7-12 October - IAEA Fusion Energy Conference, San Diego
Planning and Status Reports
- 1.3 Divertor Heat Flux Calculations for W7-X (J. Lore, ORNL)
- Jeremy Lore (ORNL) reported calculations using field-line tracing to provide preliminary estimates of heat flux to the various high heat-flux target surfaces in W7-X, including the so-called "scraper element."
- Lore's calculations provide input to thermo-hydraulic analyses and showed the sensitivity of the high-heat-flux divertor "footprint" location to variations in the bootstrap current and the vacuum magnetic configuration, underscoring the need for control.
- Possibilities for using Lore's method to study the response to W7-X controls, such as the trim coils and the divertor sweep coils, were discussed.
- 3.2 STELLOPT/COILOPT modifications for maintainable designs (J. Breslau)
- Spline representation for coils has been implemented in COILOPT.
- It was shown that straight coil segments can now be represented.
- Several promising QAS and QHS candidate configurations have been identified for optimization.
- 2.2 XICS Update (N. Pablant)
- Draft of RSI paper is expected to be completed by end of February.
- Physics paper draft in about a month
- Comments on CWGM meeting in Australia (before ISHW)
- New transport code at LHD- TRIP3D. Interest in getting the XICS measurements into the code.
- Lots of interest in reconstruction in general
- Lookup approach to equilibrium analysis is limited; interest in reconstruction is high.
- Jeff Harris: V3FIT contributes to fast reconstruction (Aaron).
- CWGM; discussed roles of V3FIT & STELLOPT
- Discussion of Alfvén activity in stellarators- should keep looking at it.
- Good discussions with Yokoyama-san about integrating tools into the plan.
- Two proposals in for this year's LHD run campaign.
- Two more proposals in the pipeline.
- 18.104.22.168 Equilibrium reconstruction (S. Lazerson)
- Highlights of ISHW indicated it was a positive experience.
- HINT2-PIES "benchmark" did not use same configuration. Sam will take over the PIES calculations from Drevlak and Geiger. Awaits info from Drevlak. Geiger will oversee.
- Close to converged PIES equilibrium for LHD.
- Obtained W7X magnetic diagnostics.
- V3FIT/DIAGNO benchmark.
- Upgrading SPEC for free-boundary.
- Non-stellarator-symmetric PIES is coming along. Had to re-write PIES. VMEC-to-PIES routine works well.
- Give STELLOPT to NIFS
Summary by: Hutch Neilson, 22 February 2012