Summary of KDEMO Project Meeting, 04 August 2016
The meeting was held at PPPL during a visit by Drs. Keeman Kim and Kihak Im.
Discussion and Plans
- 2016 Research Agreement for $250k has been executed. Performance period is through 03 August 2017.
- Joint conference papers planned for TOFE, SOFT, and IAEA-FEC were reviewed.
- Statement of work was reviewed and priorities updated.
- Approximate balance of effort recommended by NFRI:
- H&CD Analysis (60%)
- Tokamak Analysis (40%)
- Brown reviewed issues needing attention in tokamak design. This year’s priority will be to work on the in-vessel system design, especially structural connections from blanket modules to supports.
- Brown identified design challenges for tokamak reactors in general, emphasizing blanket systems parts count as potentially a strong cost driver. (see presentation file)
- Pros and cons of reducing number of TF coils from 16 to 12 were discussed. It was agreed we will continue to develop the 16-coil design but will try to address certain critical issues for 12-coil option.
- NFRI asked PPPL to strongly emphasize/prioritize the helicon study.
- Scope of the time-dependent simulation task needs further discussion with C. Kessel.
Next Meeting: 28-29 September 2016 (by Zoom)